Human Rights Curriculum Specialist, Jordan (Pro Bono Legal Specialist)
American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative
The American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative seeks a Human Rights Specialist to support its program for the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 academic years to enhance the protection and promotion of human rights in Jordan. The Human Rights Specialist will develop human rights curriculum for Jordan law faculties. The courses will be designed to connect international and local laws and theories to the practice of law. The Human Rights Specialist will work with Jordanian law faculties to develop externships, clinics, and moot court competitions focused on human rights issues.
This will be a three-month pro bono position based in Amman, Jordan. The Human Rights Specialist will work under the supervision of the ABA ROLI Jordan Country Director.
The Human Rights Specialist’s responsibilities will include:
- Development of new curriculum to enhance law students’ understanding of human rights principles;
- Training of local faculty;
- Consultation with local universities on incorporation of curriculum changes and relevant roll out plans;
- Coordination with law faculties on development of practical activities to supplement classroom curriculum.
- JD, with significant coursework addressing theme relevant to field of human rights study;
- 10 years professional experience including 5 years higher education teaching experience;
- Academic expertise teaching international human rights law;
- Demonstrated research or field experience in international human rights law;
- Experience in law school curriculum development and design;