Capacity Building Specialist, Montenegro (Pro Bono Legal Specialist)
American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 700 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
The Europe and Eurasia Division at the ABA Rule of Law Initiative is currently seeking a Capacity Building Specialist for prospective assignment in Montenegro to support an anticipated civil society program there. The Specialist will work with established local NGOs involved in legal reform, human rights, and governance. The emphasis will be on developing sustainability plans, building management and fundraising capacity, and designing creative organizational solutions to continue their work with less dependency on foreign funding. Legal background is preferred but not required. The assignment is to last 3-6 months with the choice of optional extension.
Although this is an unpaid position, travel and housing expenses are provided and all specialists receive modest allowances for meals and incidental expenses. In the case of service beyond 3 months, insurance will be provided as well.
- Training and transferring capacity building expertise.
- Composing materials to be used by local institutions for capacity and financial management development.
- Elaboration of management structures, processes and procedures to build capacity at all levels.
- Monitoring and evaluating tools for capacity building activities.
- Advanced degree in a related field (i.e. international, sustainable, or community development, international relations, public policy, etc).
- Experience in adult training methodology, curricula development, course organization, problem based training, and training impact evaluations.
- Previous work with capacity building, sustainability promotion, public education, international development and/or advocacy.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse team of people, as well as proven team building skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Previous regional experience preferred.