Legal Advisor, China (Consultant)
American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 60 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 700 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
ABA ROLI seeks a Legal Advisor for its program in China. The Legal Advisor will work with the Country Director and the Deputy Director to develop, implement, and evaluate ABA ROLI’s rule of law programs in China. Our programs cover a broad range of substantive areas including women’s rights, the rights of the disabled, criminal justice reform, environmental protection, and civil society capacity building. Programming approaches include training, pilot projects, and practical research to support policy reform. This position will require substantial travel within China.
- Assisting with the design, implementation and evaluation of programs;
- Participating in and providing technical assistance to program activities conducted by program partners and maintaining a cooperative working relationship with program partners;
- Ensuring compliance with donor requirements, including producing quarterly and final program reports;
- Assisting with the development of grant proposals.
- Must have a JD and at least three years of practical legal experience, with a minimum of one year working on international legal reform programs, preferably in China;
- Rule of law expertise in one or more of the following areas: justice sector reform, criminal justice, legal professional education, women’s rights, civil society capacity building, and access to justice.
- Demonstrated planning, management, analytical, and writing skills;
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- Familiarity with the Chinese legal system, as well as the current political and cultural context;
- Fluency in English and proficiency in both written and spoken standard Chinese (Mandarin) preferred.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.